Thursday, July 15, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

As one of the millions of underemployed people who have not been able to get a full time job for over one year, shame on you Tom Corbett, Republican candidate for governor in Pennsylvania. I definitely do not prefer sitting around collecting unemployment to actually working. And guess what? I don't even collect unemployment, despite the fact that when I do work, a portion of every paycheck is automatically paid to the state disability insurance (SDI).  At the moment, I am earning about third of what I used to earn, through freelance jobs and part time work. It's about the same amount as unemployment. I am telling you, it's not enough to make ends meet.

You have no idea what it is like out here in the real world. How hard we all struggle to find jobs that no longer exist. Every company I know has laid off workers. Every family I know has at least one unemployed person. I am currently living with my sister and nephew and none of us have a job. But we try every day. My sister's unemployment insurance will end in a few weeks. She's been out of work for six months. I know she appreciates the extra $25 a week, she receives from the Federal government's stimulus funds, but what would really be nice, is if she could continue to collect unemployment until she finds a job.  Like most of us, she has considered changing careers, accepting a less challenging job with greatly reduced pay, or moving to another city altogether to find work.  She gave up her apartment, moved in with me, reduced all her non-essential spending and she still needs $2,000 more a month than she receives from unemployment just to cover rent, health insurance, car insurance, food, phone and general living expenses.

My nephew, who is only twenty, and willing to work for minimum wage, has been in California for a little over a month.  He's a cook, and has applied to every restaurant along Ventura Boulevard from the 405 to Universal Studios. He doesn't drive, so he is limited to jobs in areas where he can get to by public transportation.  He has pounded the pavement and inquired at over one hundred places to no avail.  You try pounding the pavement in Los Angeles when it is 100 degrees and having door after door shut in your face.  Don't tell me we're not trying.

I've got one better. You try living on the equivalent of unemployment insurance for one month.  That would be $1900/month in California. I don't know how much that would be in Pennsylvania. Can you survive for one month and pay all your rent or mortgage, car payments, insurance costs, utilities, medical costs and food on that amount?  I know I can't.  That doesn't even begin to cover my mortgage and property tax. You probably spend more than that on eating out each month.

You and all the uninformed in Congress think you know what is best for the people, but the truth is you don't care about the people of your state. You only care about the rich 1% who fund your campaign.  What should the unemployed do when their money runs out?  Live on the streets or in their cars if they still have them? Send their children out to beg on street corners like in some third world country? The people in power have no clue how hard it is out there for the American people. Those of you with jobs and who are beholden to big business and special interests for those jobs, better think twice before you kick another person to the curb. It reminds me of Maria Antoinette's response when told that the poor had no more bread to eat and she said "Let them eat cake."  You remember what happened to her?

And shame on Congress for not extending unemployment benefits again. They bailed out the banks, they bailed out Wall Street (the only legalized form of gambling acceptable in all 50 states).  What about us?  We are America! Not those corporations that influence you with their soft tax dollars. Helping us, helps the country. Helping corporations is just another way of helping yourselves.

3 comments:

  1. I just read your blog. It was heartfelt and well done. I applaud you!!! The American gov will help every other country but their own, it's very sad!!! HUGS - Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! The whole system is insane.

    ReplyDelete

We are not in this alone. Please share your thoughts and comments on how you are surviving un/under-employment.