Monday, March 8, 2010

Keeping in Contact

One of the first things you should do when you are unemployed or underemployed is update your address book. Now depending on which generation you are from, your address book is either on your phone, your email program, Outlook, Access or some other sales or marketing database. For my mother and grandmother it was an actual address book with a torn cover and worn pages and everything written out in longhand. Once a year my Nana would go through the book and cross out the names of the people who had died. Yes, there were babies to be added, and husbands, and wives, and sometimes a brief story to accompany the name.

I realized that it was time to update my electronic address book and my Nana's telephone number was no longer needed, unless they have figured out how to do call forwarding to heaven. She's been gone for ten years but I hesitated a moment before pressing the delete key. I deleted almost all of my great aunts and uncles, and many of my friends. Along the way I found a few contacts who I hadn't spoken to in years, and decided to give them a call. I spent the day catching up with old friends and putting the word out.

When was the last time you updated your contacts? How often do you back them up? Do you even know how to backup your Outlook file? These are a few questions you can ask yourself while you cull your contacts for new leads.

Last year, when I bought my iPhone, I discovered Apple's MobileMe. At first, I was in love. MobileMe updates my contact files on all my devices automatically, so that if I add a number to my iPhone contacts or an appointment to my Calendar, it is automatically updated in Outlook on both my computers, and vice versa. It is a great time saver. The only downside is that MobileMe charges a yearly license fee of $99. Now that I am underemployed, I decided to explore if there are other options that can do the same thing for free.

It appears that Google, is developing a product called Google Sync, a free application in the beta test stage. It works with Google Apps to synchronize email and databases. I haven't figured out a way to make it work without Google Apps, which is definitely more program than I need at the moment.  If any of my readers have another solution that they can suggest, please let me know.

Next Post:  Go for the Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are not in this alone. Please share your thoughts and comments on how you are surviving un/under-employment.